BIYO Code of Conduct
- Promptness: I will arrive at least 15 minutes early to all rehearsals and performances, I will unpack and tune (with a tuner) before each rehearsal or performance, I will have my music and materials well organized for quick transitions, I will fulfill the requests of my mentors the first time of asking. In all things I will strive to act as promptly as possible, while respecting my and others' safety.
- Preparedness: I will practice at home, I will reach out to mentors to ensure my practice prepares me to meet our practice goals, I will apply a reflective process to rehearsing and practice to track my progress and identify gaps in my knowledge. I will bring my instrument, all necessary equipment (mutes, rosin, shoulder rests, tuners, metronomes, stand light, etc.), my music--with all markings made--to each rehearsal or performance. I will return any paperwork for the BIYO at my earliest opportunity. I will come to each rehearsal prepared to engage with the music and my peers.
- Perspective: I understand that in a group rehearsal we have limited time to prepare our music together. With the perspective that I am 1 musician of many in 1 ensemble, I will support the orchestra with my attention and focus. When invited to do so by my mentors, I will contribute my unique perspective to the interpretive process. I understand that each orchestra is more than the sum of its parts and my role--regardless of which ensemble I am in--is critical to the success of each BIYO ensemble.
- Participation: Being in an orchestra is a tremendous privilege. While I have the chance to be a part of our orchestra, I will dedicate myself to being an active participant at all times in rehearsals and concerts. I will be an example of ideal participation, and I will encourage others around me to engage with the music and participate in the rehearsal process.
- Positivity: I accept that I am not perfect, and at times will be unable to fulfill the first 4 P's to the highest level. Despite problems I encounter in my life, I will make the choice to come to each rehearsal and each concert with a positive attitude. I will encourage myself and those around me that our positive outlook is critical to success, and I will encourage anyone who choses negativity to change their ways. I will encourage myself and those around me to see each challenge as an opportunity to grow, and I will share in our excitement when new challenges to overcome present themselves.