Welcome to BIYO
BIYO is pleased to announce that Wesley Schulz will continue in the Music Director / Conductor position of the Bainbridge Island Youth Orchestra for the 2013/2014 season.
Wesley Schulz is Music Director and Conductor of the Bainbridge Symphony Orchestra, the Bainbridge Island Youth Orchestras and the Everett Youth Symphony Orchestras. Additionally, he is the Assistant Conductor of the Britt Classical Festival. As a guest conductor Schulz has appeared with the Northwest Mahler Festival, the Bloomington Symphony Orchestra, Oregon East Symphony, ClarinetFest 2010, San Francisco All-City Honors Orchestra and the Austin Chamber Music Center. Schulz was recently named winner along with his Texas Chamber Group of the 2010 American Prize in Orchestral Performance for their rendering of Stravinsky’s Rite of Spring. (Read more about Wesley here.)
Bainbridge Island Youth Orchestras
Wesley Schulz, Music Director
2012-2013 Audition Information
NOTE: Current member auditions are held in the fall for orchestra and seating positions.
Bainbridge Island Youth Orchestras (BIYO) holds annual auditions to place students in one of two string orchestras, the Sinfonietta and the Senior Orchestra. All students, new and returning, are required to audition each year. Below are the items students should prepare for auditions. Also included are some tips and advice for preparing for the audition.
Please prepare the following for the audition:
Sinfonietta: 2 octave D major scale and a 1 octave minor scale of your choice
Senior: 3 octave major scale of your choice and 2 octave minor scale of your choice
2. Solo: Prepare up to four minutes (2-3 minutes for Sinfonietta) of a solo of your choice. You can choose to play a piece from the Suzuki books, a sonata, a concerto or any other piece of music that best displays your technical ability and the depth of your musical expression. No accompanist is needed and your solo does not need to be memorized.
3. Sight reading: A short excerpt will be provided at the audition.
Suggested minimum requirements to play in the Sinfonietta:
1. Be at a level equivalent of Book 2 of Suzuki.
2. Be able to read notes in the keys of C, G, D, A.
3. Be able to play in tune in first position.
4. Be able to sight-read simple rhythm patterns.
Additional requirements to play in the Senior Orchestra:
1. Ability to shift into 3rd and 4th positions with notes in tune.
2. Ability to play in tune in keys with four or more sharps or flats.
3. Ability to play with beautiful tone.
4. Ability to play different articulations and bowings.
5. Ability to sight read simple melodies with dotted rhythms and syncopation.